Monday, November 16, 2009

Eavesdropping

A conversation overheard tonight on the Metro Gold Line...

Dad: "Did you know your great-grandfather crossed the Delaware with George Washington?"
Older daughter: "That's a lie."
Dad: "Okay. You wanna hear a joke?"
Son and older daughter: "No."
Dad: "Okay. So Obama, Gore, and Clinton are tryin' to get into Heaven."
Son: "I heard this one on the freakin' radio last night. Hurry up."
Dad: "So God says, 'Why should I let you in?' Clinton walks up and says, 'I know I've sinned a lot, but I prayed for forgiveness, so we're alright now.' And God lets him in. Then Gore walks up and says, 'Well, everyone knows I won that election in 2000, but I handled it well, and I've done a lot of good things for the Earth and stuff.' And God lets him in. Then Obama walks up to God and says, 'I believe you're in my seat.'"
Wife smiles, as do a few nearby riders who pretend like they're not listening, myself included.
Son: "I don't get it. I mean I get it, but..."
Mom: "It's 'cause Obama thinks he's God."
Older daughter: "That's blasphemy."
Son: "No, it's a joke."
Younger daughter: "What's blasphemy?"
Older daughter: "It's a sin."
Son: "Is it in the Ten Commandments?"
Older daughter: "No, but..."
Dad (with authority): "I think it's in the Constitution."
Son: "Oh. Maybe the Declaration of Independence."
Dad: "No, it's the Constitution."
Younger daughter: "Daddy, I think that man over there is writing down your joke."


Did you catch that? Not a boy, not even a guy...she called me a man!

1 comment:

  1. I like that guy. =o) he just made me laugh a lot.

    ...this is Joanna, by the way. I feel like my mom when she was "learning to email". ...this whole blogspot thing is new to me. ..sounds impossible...but it isn't.

    ReplyDelete