Friday, September 25, 2009

I am sitting in the Fairfax Branch of the Los Angeles Public Library. I've been here for a few hours now, working on a story and applying to graduate school and e-mailing friends and listening to this gorgeous girl read a story about farm animals in the Storytime corner. I realize that it'd be creepy of me to sit with the kids, so I'm contenting myself with open ears and the occasional glance over my shoulder.

Tomorrow will be our three-week anniversary with LA. I would like to tell you that in these three weeks I have found the world's greatest job and sold my first manuscript. But that's not quite true.

I have, though, grown comfortable enough to change my Current City on Facebook. Apparently that's a pretty big deal. And I am increasingly comfortable with street names and directions, even if only in our immediate area. I've been riding my bike around a lot, which is a perfect way to get to know a city, and I think I have been running four times since we've been here. That's a post-high school record for me.

I got my very own library card last week, even if it's not officially in my name. Thanks David.

We have become regulars at a place called Millions of Milkshakes. Britton's fond of Oreo, but I can't get past the chocolate and peanut butter. Chunks of peanut butter. It's amazing.

We've been to several movies for free at the Director's Guild, which is a gift. They have a full schedule next month, so it looks like we won't be paying for very many movies. Again, thanks David.

We went to a fancy-pants party up on a hill overlooking the city, at a house that neighbors Leonardo Dicaprio, Tobey Maguire, Stan Lee, and a few of the Walmart guy's granddaughters. I thought about trying to meet one of them so I don't have to pay for graduate school, but then I realized that we would always argue about whether or not their family business is destroying America.

That party had delicious little plates of food that kept walking by, including these Swiss and bacon sliders that were greasy and wonderful.

Next Saturday is the West Hollywood Book Fair, which is apparently quite the event. A couple nights ago I went to a meeting to volunteer for it. Because I'm under fifty, I'm willing to run around a lot, and I know how to work a projector, it looks like they'll be able to put me to good use. And every bookstore in the area is represented there, which is good news as far as jobs go.

That's the direction I'm leaning in right now. If I don't catch a lucky break with a job at a magazine or a publishing company, a bookstore would be part-time perfect while I'm working on stories to submit. There's this one called Book Soup that is loads of fun, and I'm trying to get a job there for now. We'll see.

Speaking of stories to submit, I'm in the process of sending a handful out right now. Here's to hoping.

It's looking like both of LA's baseball teams will be in the playoffs come October. That would be exciting. For me, at least. I'm not sure Britton would care so much.

Britton's been trying to get in contact with people to start working soon. He finished a resume that looks really good, all professional and stuff. I'm excited for him. I think he has a lot on the way.

By the way, Britton put up the rest of our trip pictures a few days ago. These include Glacier, the Oregon coast, and the Redwoods. You can look at those here: http://www.facebook.com/juliawalkerthomas?ref=ts#/photos.php?id=502624614. The first one there is for a new photo-a-day thing he's starting, which will be fun to follow, then the three after that are the newest ones from our trip.

I finished the application process for Oregon State University's Creative Writing graduate program today. It's a pretty competitive program, but if that works out I'll be starting in about a year. In the meantime, I plan to keep learning this area, riding my bike, drinking shakes, writing, making new friends, trying to keep my eyes open in every possible sense, and maybe going for a few more runs.

For those of you who were hoping I would hate it here and move back to Florida, I apologize. This has been pretty wonderful.

So now, if you will excuse me, I plan to close my eyes and listen to Storytime Girl read about talking piglets.

1 comment:

  1. Good call on not sitting with the kids for storytime, Beau.

    ReplyDelete